Saturday, June 9, 2012

Tigernut sweets

Today my son's kindergarten class held an Egyptian banquet and I got to make an Egyptian candy called Tigernut sweets. These sweet treats are simply dates, walnuts and cinnamon pureed together, then rolled in honey and almond flour. They are quite easy to make and depending on what you believe is healthy (is a lot of fructose really better than a lot of sucrose? I don't know. I am too busy making hawk costumes and tigernut sweets to get that phd in nutritional biochemistry but I do wonder and did at one point in my life contemplate going to grad school to study something like that. Though I have contemplated many a phd program in my lifetime. In fact I wouldn't mind getting a phd in lots of things, if phds could be gotten in 6 months... Oh wait, that's not the point of phds, 6 months would hardly an expert make and I have come to realize that I will never be one of those.) Anyway, digression aside, tigernut sweets are a fun, sweet treat. The recipe is one of the oldest recipes known and was found written on a piece of clay!



Instructions: Puree 200g fresh dates, 1 tbsp cinnamon powder, 2 tbsp chopped walnuts with a little water til you have something paste-like. Pour some honey onto one plate and almond flour onto another plate. Form a little ball of date/walnut/cinnamon and roll it first in honey and then in almond flour. That's it. Its like a little truffle! 








No comments:

Post a Comment