Friday, February 7, 2014

Local bounty at the Farmer's Market

I know I have been posting a lot about food lately. Food is fascinating though, right? I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks so! Sourcing food in a new environment is really a thrilling adventure for me. Today my dad was heading over to the Leopardstown Racecourse Farmer's Market, in search of some cheese, and he invited me along. He knows I share his appreciation for fresh and artisinal food. Apparently this is one of the oldest Farmer's Markets in Dublin and it used to be "The One." My dad hadn't been out there in quite a few years and he said that it used to be much, much bigger.

My dad did not find the cheese he was looking for, but I was very happy to find the McNally Family Farm was there. I have previously been to their stand at the Dun Laoghaire market and was thrilled by the variety and quality of all their locally grown vegetables. In total contrast with my last post about all the foreign produce in the supermarket, today I am celebrating all the local produce available to me, in the middle of winter, so far up here in the Northern Hemisphere. Today the McNally's had carrots, beets, different varieties of potatoes, scallions, chard, spinach, kale, brussel sprouts, bok choy, cabbages, turnips, squashes, mixed greens, spicy greens, dandelion greens, a variety of herbs and more, all grown here in Dublin on the same farm. I find that pretty impressive (and blog-worthy.)







They also sometimes have duck eggs (which are AMAZING) and dairy products, like milk, butter and yogurts. I love these choices and filled my basket with veg. I also picked up some local, organic beef meatballs, eggs, smoked mackeral and some brown seeded soda bread from some other vendors. As usual, there were many other things that I could have bought but I only had 30 euro with me. I think I did pretty good!



No comments:

Post a Comment