Saturday, December 20, 2014

Basic Vegetable Soup

I love soup! I am so happy I moved to a colder climate, where soup is a standard on so many menus. When traveling around the countryside, without fail we can always pop into a pub for lunch and find vegetable soup, with a side of homemade brown soda bread on the menu. Its usually the most reasonably priced option and its also my favorite.

I have started making vegetable soup very regularly at home too. Its quick and easy. I love it and my daughter loves it. Its super easy to make, with ingredients that I pretty much always have.

Basic ingredients:

1 large potato (or 2-3 small)
1 large onion (or 2-3 small)
1 medium courgette (zucchini)
1 large carrot
1 tsp sea salt

( These proportions and ingredients can be varied somewhat. I also sometimes add other things that I need to use up, like bell peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, etc...)


Directions:
Chop all the vegetables (no need to chop them too finely.) Put the chopped vegetables in a pot and cover with water. Add the sea salt.


Boil for about 20 minutes, or until you can put a fork easily into the vegetables. I use an immersion blender to blend the soup, but you could use a a regular blender or food processor,


The soup is ready to serve as is! I sometimes drink it out of a cup, like a warm drink. For the kids, I sometimes stir some milk or fresh cream into the soup to cool it down.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment