Friday, April 10, 2015

a weekend in Terryglass, Tipperary


I know, I am way behind on chronicling all of our excursions around Ireland. It is my plan to play catch up very soon (story of my life, I think!) We just got back from a lovely trip that I will write up asap, but for now I want to share a lovely getaway we took a few months ago to Terryglass (on Lough Derg) in County Tipperary.

I have a soft spot for Lough Derg. My dad had a house in the lovely town of Garrykennedy when I was younger. I made some good friends down there and especially love the scenery in that part of Ireland.

I was trolling AirBnB, as I often do, for a nice place to visit and happened on a lovely looking cottage in Terryglass. 

We love old cottages in peaceful, rural locations. Somewhere to escape from the bustle of the city, relax and chill out. We also like to be able to bring our dog along...

This cottage was everything we usually look for and more! Firstly, the cottage was traditional but had all the nice, modern conveniences. It was perfectly clean and outfitted with everything we could need. It was in a nice, tranquil location, not too far from the lake.

The added extras that made it especially great: the sauna!!!! The childrens toys, books and movies that were in one of the bedrooms. The shed full of bikes that we could use. The go-cart!!!

 My kids spent hours riding up and down the country lane on the go-cart.



The play area with a bin full of balls. The fairy door. The swingset. It was a fabulous place to bring kids and that makes for a happy family all around. I also personally appreciated the free-range eggs.

One thing I would like to mention is that there seemed to be 3 or 4 cottages here. No one else was staying in the other cottages while we were visiting. I mention it as it seems like a great place for a group to go to, to have some shared space and also some separate space. I know that if we had friends staying in one of the other cottages, my kids would have had an even better time!




I highly recommend staying in Niall's restored stone cottage in Terryglass.

Tags: AirBnB, Ireland, Travel, Terryglass, Tipperary, Cottage, Vacation






No comments:

Post a Comment